Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Novel Romance


A few weeks ago before I moved into my dorm I decided I wanted to rent a movie, so I get in my car and I drive to Hollywood Video. When I get there I have no idea what to rent. I'm wondering around and decide I want a comedy. While walking through the comedy I notice this movie called Novel Romance and I pick it up. The cover was interesting and the description on the back didn't look bad, so I rented it.

I ended up watching it almost the second I got home. It wasn't quite what I was expecting but I it was a good movie.

" Max Normane’s eye for the undiscovered literary gem is famous. Unfortunately, Max hasn’t yet been able to shape her own narrative into the most enviable of stories. Once having hoped to live a sweeping romantic epic, Max instead has gone through a series of unfulfilled romances. Having reached her 30's, Max realizes that finding her true love isn't going to be that easy.

When Max meets Jake Buckley, a struggling but talented writer whose previous attempts at getting published have been sabotaged by his own egocentricities and narcissism, Max relies on her unique brand of editorial intuition to offer him a mutually beneficial solution of Faustian proportions: his seed in exchange for publication. In other words, she’ll give life to his “baby” if he gives life to hers.

Despite Jake’s shock and outrage at such blackmail, this bizarre opportunity for long-awaited literary success is too good for the frustrated artist to pass up. And upon completion of the transaction, both Max and Jake go their very separate ways: Max gives birth to their child and throws herself headfirst into the world of motherhood, while Jake lives his dream as a celebrated literary figure abroad in Europe.

But with the passage of time comes the realization that, despite achieving everything they ever wanted, both are feeling a void in their lives that neither can articulate. Only upon Jake’s return from Europe do they finally begin to accept that there can only be one satisfying, yet highly improbable, way to conclude this tale.

Yes, in this as in all romances, love must attempt to conquer all—even if that all includes insurmountable personal baggage and an impossibly irresistible French woman. And with Jake’s talents as an author, and Max’s as an editor, together they craft an ending as strange and sweet as they themselves."http://www.novelromancethemovie.com/synopsis.htm

If this sounds like a good watch to you, then I'd go check it out.

No comments: