Saturday, September 5, 2009
My Fair Lady
Last night I was lucky enough to have tickets to my local theaters production of My Fair Lady. It was actually pretty good but then again you can't completely mess it up. The musical itself is kind of fool proof as long as you have actors and actresses who can kind of sing and act. I had two major problems with the production last night. The first was the actress who played Eliza Doolittle. It wasn't that she couldn't sing because she had a beautiful voice. I think I finally came to the conclusion that she just didn't fit the role. Another was that in the first act where she has her cockney accent my mom kept leaning over and asking me what she was saying. My second problem was the costumes. I love costuming, this is something you have to understand. I've also done my fair share of costuming musicals and these just didn't work with the play. In the program it said that the musical was set in 1910 and let me say not even half of the costumes would have worked in that time period. I'll give them a slight break since I'm a little obbsessed with time periods and most people don't have a clue. This still doesn't exscuse their lack of consistance. Now that I've gotten my complaints out I really did enjoy it over all. The majority of the acting and singing was well done and the guy that played Proffesor Henry Higgins was hilarious.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment